Tuesday, April 28, 2015

How I Humiliated A German Legend In 1993 – Okocha Shares Breath-taking Story

Former Super Eagles captain, Austin ‘Jay Jay’ Okocha, spoke to fifa.com when he visited France to feature in the 12 Match Against Poverty, organised by Zinnedine Zidane and Ronaldo de Lima.

Speaking shortly after the charity game, Okocha revealed his best time as player.


When asked which is still his favourite goal of all time, he had this to say, “Yes, the one I got for Frankfurt against Karlsruhe in 1993 stands out a little for me. I was very young and I hadn’t made a name for myself yet. Klaus Toppmoller was my coach at the time and he started me on the bench for that game, which I wasn’t especially pleased about. We were 2-1 up when he finally decided to put me on. We were under pressure and my job was to keep the ball, but we put a break together and I suddenly found myself in the opposition penalty box with four or five defenders facing me. I just dribbled with the ball, going one way and then the next before putting the ball past the keeper, who was none other than Oliver Kahn.”

The chairman of the Delta State Football Association also lauded Ivory Coast skipper, Yaya Toure who he said “is the best African player in the game right now”.

“Yaya Toure is the most consistent performer right now”, he added.

During his playing time, Austin Okocha was known for his step overs, skill and technique. He is widely regarded as the best Nigerian player of his generation."

No comments: