Friday, March 3, 2017

Ed Sheeran 'Got Hammered and Cracked Justin Bieber in the Face With a Golf Club'

  Ed Sheeran may have just made a lot of Justin Bieber haters' day.

The singer-songwriter sat down with The Guardian to talk about his new album "Divide", his musical journey, and oh yeah, that one time he got plastered and cracked the Biebs' in the face with a golf club.

“We were in Japan. We’d been out to a dive bar. He just drank water and I got hammered. Then we went to a golf course, and he lay on the floor and put a golf ball in his mouth and told me to hit it out of his mouth," Sheeran said. "I was like, ‘F--k, I need to aim this properly,’ and I swung. And you know in films when someone gets punched, and you hear that fake sound, like a slap? But in real life when someone gets punched, you hear that dull thud, a bit sickening? I heard a sound like the last one, and saw his security guard looking at me."

“I’d cracked Justin Bieber right in the cheek with a golf club," Sheeran said. "That was one of those ‘What the f--k?’ moments.”

Sheeran is also the mastermind behind Bieber's "Love Yourself," which was originally written by Sheeran for Rihanna, but later ended up in the hands of Bieber and became the highest-selling single of 2016.

The interview talk also dives into Sheeran's quick rise to fame, with his hit "Shape of You" being streamed 53 million times just a week after it's release. Though he claims to be “having a f--king great time," he admitted there are moments when he thinks, "I had so much more fun when I was broke, sofa-surfing."

“Money’s such a weird thing. The way it changes certain people around you, the attitude they have towards you, and it changes the people you think it wouldn’t change. Just small things. I remember being in a club with a couple of friends that I was close to, we ran up this hefty bar bill – it was 700 quid or something – and I sorted it at the end of the night, then left. I got a call the next morning from the bar: ‘Oh, your mates came back later and they ran up another 600-quid bill and they just said to charge it to you.’”

Sheeran continued, “I know that’s a proper first-world problem, but … you just see people you’re close to seeing you as a cash machine rather than a mate, like if they hang around you they’ll get stuff from you. Whereas my mates back in Suffolk, as soon as we get to the pub they’ll buy me a drink. Small things like that, rather than going out at the end of the night and kind of sneaking off.”

Sheeran's "Divide" comes out on Friday.

No comments: