Friday, January 22, 2016

Javier Mascherano sentenced to 1 year in jail over tax evasion

 The Argentine player Javier Mascherano has been fined €815,000 and handed a year’s sentence for two counts of fiscal crimes committed in 2011 and 2012.

Mascherano has previously admitted to the offences, repaid the money owed and paid a hefty fine as recompense.

After such compliance with the investigation, the court is expected to grant the wish of Mascherano and his lawyer, David Aineto, in suspending the custodial sentence in exchange for a further fine.

The Barcelona star said in a statement released on Thursday: “I’m a professional sportsman and I don’t know a lot about legal and financial matters.

“Therefore I must rely on the people that manage these technical, and for me, complicated, issues.

“All my career I have been an honest and responsible person… I will take this experience that has accosted me as another experience which I will leave stronger and calmed by the fact that I am once again within the law.”

Lionel Messi’s tax fraud case, meanwhile, will be heard by a Barcelona court from May 31 through to June 3, meaning he will need to travel some 6,000 miles just days before Argentina’s Copa America opener.

No comments: