Saturday, September 12, 2015

See the First Actresses To Produce A Movie In Nollywood

Actress and movie producer, Rukky Sandahas been receiving so much attention this past few weeks starting from her birthday, to the premiere of her new movie, Dark.

The 31 year old actress was in an interview with The Sun Newspaper recently. Read the chat below;

When asked about her new movie, ‘ Dark’, she responded; I was actually writing Walls Within, a romantic comedy and all of a sudden my creative juices dried up. I think I was in my room and it was dark. I think that was how I came up with the title. When I finished writing, I could barely see what I’d written because I was just scribbling everywhere.

It took me about another whole day to try and figure out my own handwriting. Darkis something different. It’s actually not your regular Nollywood movie; it’s a thriller.

On becoming a producer, she replied;It was a business decision because at that time, actresses were not well paid.

I decided to go into production because I’d always been a business person. I think I was one of the first actresses who produced her own films in Nollywood. I made my debut in 2004 and produced my first movie in 2005. 10 years have rolled by ever since. I was already doing business when I got into Nollywood. I mean, I used to sell stuff so I had my own cash. And obviously mom supported me with a loan which I later paid back.

Starting out I wouldn’t say was easy because as at 2005, N3 million was a lot of money. I’ m my executive producer. It’s not like I don’t believe in executive producer hunting but it is just not my thing.

No comments: