Friday, March 13, 2015

Champions League: Terry Reacts To Ibrahimovic’s Insult

Chelsea captain, John Terry, has reacted to Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s description of his team mates as “babies”, saying Paris St Germain (PSG)’s players were similarly guilty on a night of ill-discipline at Stamford Bridge.

Ibrahimovic, 33, was shown a straight red card after 31 minutes of the UEFA Champions League last 16 second leg draw on Wednesday, subsequent to a tackle on Chelsea’s midfielder, Oscar which prompted his team mates to surround the referee and demand punishment.

Meanwhile, television replays had suggested PSG forward, Ibrahimovic was no more at fault than Oscar.

“You have to stick up for your team mates. Every side is as bad as each other. It is part of the game,” Terry said, responding to reproach of Chelsea’s conduct.

Despite referee, Bjorn Kuipers, being surrounded by almost the entire Chelsea team, Terry said he was only responding to provocation from the PSG players.

“Once they’re charging the ref, the only thing we can do is respond.

“You can’t as a group of players let them surround the ref, trying to get our players booked.

“For me if I have to run 20, 30 yards, it doesn’t look great but when you’re standing back and seeing five or six of their players surrounding the ref, I think I support my team mates.

“And once I go, four or five go with me, it doesn’t look good at all but that’s part of the game. We will match it if people want to mix it,” the 34-year-old said, adding that it is also part of the game.

However, in an interview with reporters at Stamford Bridge after the game, Ibrahimovic said: “I don’t know if I have to get angry or start to laugh.

“For me, when I saw the red card I was like, ‘the guy doesn’t know what he’s doing’.

“That is not the worst. The worst is when I got the red card, all the Chelsea players come around. It felt like I had a lot of babies around me.”

UEFA’s disciplinary panel will review Ibrahimovic’s red card at its meeting next week.

PSG Coach, Laurent Blanc, said that the club would appeal against Ibrahimovic’s red card and hoped he would be available for the quarter-final.

The French side went through on away goals after drawing 2-2 on the night, thanks to Thiago Silva’s header in extra time."

No comments: