Wednesday, May 6, 2015

57-Year-Old Woman In Critical Condition, One Dead As SARS Operatives Storm Lagos Community

Policemen attached to the Special Anti-Robbery Squad of Lagos state police command have been accused of shooting a 57-year-old woman, Roseline Adewumi, and leaving her in a critical condition.

It is understood that the SARS operatives allegedly stormed the Badia East Oke-Eri community at Ijora Apapa on May 1, Friday, at about 8.45pm in pursuit of suspected armed robbers when they allegedly started shooting sporadically and one of the stray bullets hit Mrs Adewumi, a mother of five, in the stomach and on her left thigh.

Eyewitnesses said the SARS operatives shot dead a young man identified as Nwane and took his corpse away but they left Mrs. Adewumi in the pool of her own blood despite pleas from the dying woman that they should take her to the hospital.

The eyewitnesses identified one Mohammed Abubakar as the SARS operative that allegedly shot Mrs Adewumi while his other team mate allegedly shot Nwane dead.

Mrs Adewumi’s son, Seun, speaking with our correspondent stated that his mother is in critical condition at the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LUTH) Idi-Araba, following the gunshot wounds she sustained.

He said: “I am the eldest son of my mother. That fateful day on May 1st, my mum, myself and others were sitting outside our plank home at Badia East at about 8.30pm when a team of policemen from the Special Anti-robbery Squad Ikeja stormed our community and started shooting.

“People were fleeing for their lives and the policemen continued to shoot. They shot one guy dead and their bullets hit my mother on the thigh and in the stomach. My mother dragged herself and held the hand of the police man that shot her and she was pleading with him to take her to the hospital, another policeman started speaking Hausa language and said “ burga shi, burga shi” I don t know what that means. I came out of hiding and went to the policemen and I joined my mother to beg them to take her to hospital but they pointed their gun at me and I ran away.

“The policeman my mother was holding on to pulled away from her and left with his team mate who had carried the body of the man they killed. Members of the community rushed out after the policemen left and they contributed money about N40,000 for her treatment that night. The DPO in our area also came and assisted the community members to take my mother to the Lagos University Teaching hospital at Idi- Araba at about 2am.

“She was rushed to the Emergency Unit where she was operated upon. If not for their timely intervention, my mother would have died. The next day, the SARS operatives led by Mohammed came to see my mum in the hospital and they told me that they are from the OC SARS. They gave me N30,000 for my mother’s treatment and the next day Mohammed gave me another N40,000”.

Seun added that despite the financial assistance from the SARS operatives, his mother still needs additional money for her to get better as the money from them was not enough for her medication.

According to him, he has been running around to look for money and has spent about N59,000 of his own money.

He is therefore appealing to the commissioner of police in Lagos state to come to his family’s rescue so that his mother will receive better treatment and get her life back."

No comments: