Monday, December 28, 2015

Why I’ve Not Spoken On $2.1bn Arms Deal Scandal – Maku

A former Information Minister in the Goodluck Jonathan administration, Mr Labaran Maku, has said he would soon air his “views about everything that is going on” in relation to the $2.1bn arms deal scandal involving ex-National Security Adviser, Col. Sambo Dasuki (retd).
Maku, who was the All Progressive Grand Alliance, APGA, candidate in the April 11 governorship election in Nasarawa State, also carpeted the state governor, Tanko Al-Makura, for planning to spend N17 billion on an airport project, describing it as an avenue to steal.

According to Maku, “What Lafia needs is an airstrip, where aircraft can land in case some very important personalities may visit the state for one reason or the other.

“For Al-Makura to build N17 billion airport in Kwandare, his village, is not the priority of the people of the state for now.

“The money can be used to establish factories, industries, construct rural roads, provide potable water and electricity to the rural populace.

“There is a high rate of poverty among the people, especially at the grassroots, a problem that has been compounded by lack of access roads, electricity and drinkable water”.

The former Minister, who gave the advice while speaking with journalists in his country home in Wakama, Akun Development Area of the state, therefore, called on the Federal Government and the aviation authority to reverse the construction of an airport in Lafia at this time of economic hardship.

On ongoing probe into the $2.1 billion meant to purchase arms for the Nigerian Armed Forces to combat Boko Haram, Mr. Maku said: “I don’t want to comment on this administration now because I was in the previous government as minister of Information and our voice was all over the nation. Decency requires that I keep quiet and let Nigerians hear other voices. That doesn’t mean I will not say anything, but it is virtually too early for me as a former minister of Information to begin to talk about what is going on at the moment.

“So it is not correct; when you have spoken so long and people have heard your voice, you also withdraw and hear others. I have my views about everything that is going on now. When the time is due, when I have respected public decency, waited and have heard some other Nigerians, I will make my views known.

“But for now, it is too early for me to say anything. The processes that are going on are in the full glare of Nigerians and what I will say is that the media should be very careful. That’s my advice and I will not say anything else”.

No comments: