Thursday, December 10, 2015

Bride-to-be,who has NEVER smoked is diagnosed with incurable lung cancer after going to the doctors with a cough

A bride-to-be who has never smoked and regularly goes to the gym has been diagnosed with incurable lung cancer. Super-fit Alisha Barnett, who competed in 100-mile charity bike rides, was diagnosed with stage four advanced lung cancer in December 2014 after going to the doctor with a cough.

Doctors cannot tell the 28-year-old, from south London, exactly how long she has left – but warned that it will be less than a decade. She will have to continue with life-prolonging chemotherapy sessions for the rest of her life and will therefore be unable to have children.

But despite her grave prognosis, Miss Barnett, who works in asset management in London, said she has plenty to look forward to.

She is set to marry her partner of four years, 31-year-old Jon Douglas, on December 19 after he proposed on Valentine’s Day in Paris.

    ‘Yes, I’ve been unlucky, but I’ve been lucky in other aspects of my life,’ she said.

    ‘I don’t have money or relationship worries. I have friends and family who care about me. If I am tired they notice.

    ‘They make me dinner all the time, and look after me. The only thing I have to focus on is staying well.

    ‘The doctors can’t give a deadline – some people have survived ten years. However, if I came off chemo and stopped taking medicine it would be a few months.

    ‘I am lucky. It sounds so lame but anyone could die at any time. I don’t want to be depressed. People have a lot worse.’

Miss Barnett told how prior to her diagnosis, she was incredibly fit and had completed a number of charity bike rides.

No comments: