Monday, December 7, 2015

Lagos Man Gives Shocking Reason For Being A Armed Robber | READ

A suspected robber, Lanre Makinde who was arrested by the police in Lagos has claimed that he joined the gang in order to get money for his graduation.

The Punch reports that Makinde was apprehended by operatives of the Rapid Response Squad on Saturday, December 5 alongside other suspects, Sodiq Hassan, Sunday Oyeniran and Ahmed Kazeem.

It was reported that the gang operated during the usual Lagos traffic and were arrested after they had stolen mobile phones and wallets. Some other members of the gang escaped.

Makinde, in his confession claimed that he was on drugs and that he needed money to pay for his graduation.

“I was not conscious of what I was doing. I knew the gang leaders as friends in the area, and agreed to go out with them. I was drunk on that evening. I actually needed money to pay for my graduation and to make ends meet.”

Oyeniran on his part claimed he didn’t participate in the robbery but only helped to keep the stolen items.

“I am an ex-convict. I was not the leader of the gang. Since I was released from the prison on November 14, I ensured that I severed my relationship with the gang. The gang leaders are Eegun and Yoppy. I know them as traffic robbers in Oshodi. I was only seen with the mobile phones stolen by the gang. I did not go to rob with them.”

Another suspect, Hassan said he was a bus conductor before joining the robbery gang.

He said: “I learnt generator repairing in Ibadan, Oyo State, and I travelled to Lagos to raise some money to set up my workshop. I was sleeping under the Oshodi Bridge. I was with the gang when they stole the phones. It was stolen by one man, Awuwa. He is one of those who fled from the police.”

One of the victims who spoke on the condition of anonymity said he was descending the pedestrian bridge when the robbers nabbed his phone which was eventually returned to him by the police.

Another victim who simply identified herself as Rasheeda said the suspects took her mobile devices from the front seat when she tried to open the passenger seat of her car for a passenger.

In a related development, an unidentified man was reportedly burgled and his car destroyed by suspected armed robbers in his Iyana Isolo, Lagos residence.

No comments: